By: Finance Foodie
McDonald’s is launching a new Happy Meal campaign that engages families in the benefits of balanced eating and active play, aiming to make nutrition fun for kids. The campaign launched a few weeks ago nationwide and includes the following initiatives:
* Nationwide availability of McDonald’s new Happy Meal that automatically comes with apple slices and a new kid-size fry
* New Happy Meal TV Advertisements, will be the first that support McDonald’s nutrition commitment to promote nutrition and/or active lifestyle messages.
* "Happy Meal Chefs" contest gives two parent and child teams the opportunity to help in the creation and testing of new, nutrition-minded Happy Meal choices alongside McDonald's executive chef Dan Coudreaut. Beginning now through April 18, the contest is seeking top inspiring stories from families who enjoy cooking with wholesome ingredients at family mealtime. Ten kids will win and trip to the 2012 London Olympic Games and two will name honorary “Happy Meal Chefs.” Families can enter at happymealchefs.mcdonalds.com
Even though I am probably too old for a happy meal, I took a trip down memory lane and checked out the "new" happy meal for old times sake.What did I think? Well, I would definitely say there is more of an option to be healthy. I was quite impressed with the variety of new drink choices (lowfat milk, chocolate milk, apple juice or small soda), but besides that -- it seemed like it was the same happy meal as before, just with additional apple slices. And speaking of these apple slices, I am sad to report that the five times I had this meal, every single time the slices were mushy and not tasty. If I had these as a kid, I probably would have chucked these to my dog -- cause these apples were as bad as the steamed brussel sprouts forced upon me during family dinners.
Financefoodie.com wants one of my readers to get a $25 Arch Card!
You can enter up to THREE times:
1. REQUIRED: In my comments section, tell me what was your favorite thing about your childhood (mine was recess and not worrying about jobs/grades!).
2. Follow Finance Foodie on Twitter (leave a separate comment telling me this)
3. Reblog / Retweet this giveaway (leave a separate comment telling me this)
This is a quick one - contest ended on Friday, March 30 at 5pm EST. Winners will be chosen via random integer generator on random.org announced on the financefoodie.com site shortly afterwards!
Full Disclosure:Arch Card provided by Finance Foodie Media Productions. I was not monetarily compensated for this post.