Although the news this month has been stuck on Government dysfunction, it also happens to be National Non-GMO Month. Non–GMO Month was created by the non-profit consumer advocacy group, Non-GMO Project in 2010 as a platform for raising awareness on the GMO issue. Today, genetically modified crops dominate within our food system with over 90% of national corn and soybean production now GMO (GMO = genetically modified organisms). It's an issue that affects all of us, although most know very little about it.
PROBAR, one of my favorite nutritional bar companies (I've written about them here), is a Platinum sponsor of Non-GMO Month. The prevalence of GMO's in our food system is ultimately up to us (consumers) to demand increased transparency and national labeling for GMO products. Especially with Halloween later this month, it's time for us to think more critically about what we're encouraging our children to eat:
Top 10 Most Common GMO Ingredients in Halloween Candy
1. Sugar (GMO sugar beets)
2. High fructose corn syrup (GMO corn)
3. Corn starch (GMO corn)
4. Soy lecithin (GMO soy)
5. Soy bean oil (GMO soy)
6. Modified food starch (GMO corn)
7. Fructose, dextrose, glucose (GMO corn)
8. Cotton seed oil (GMO cotton)
9. Canola oil (GMO canola)
10. “Other” ingredients: isolates, isoflavones, food starch, vegetable oil
In honor of National non-GMO Month and PROBAR's commitment to healthy all-natural snacks, Finance Foodie and PROBAR would like to offer a special give-away: 1 mixed flavor box of your favorite PROBAR
Grand Prize: 1 mixed box of PROBAR Core, Bolt, Halo, Fuel or Meal
There are THREE ways to enter
1. REQUIRED: In my comments section, tell me what is your favorite PROBAR flavor. Also please include your email address so I can contact you if you win!
2. Follow Finance Foodie on Twitter (leave separate comment telling me this)
3. Reblog / Retweet this giveaway (leave separate comment telling me this)
Contest ends Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at 5pm EST. Winners will be chosen via random integer generator on random.org and announced on the financefoodie.com site shortly afterwards that night!
Giveaway provided by PROBAR. I was not compensated for this post.